Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Shifting Gears

A band that I like (hint: they inspired the main characters) recently said that, after playing and performing the same songs for a number of years, they got antsy for new material. They pointed out that they had not gotten sick of the music, but that they were simply ready to take things a step further. They had just done a show combining their new material with the old, and it was a great feeling for them to do that.

Likewise, I have gotten to that point with the Forbidden Children series. I have been working on the first novel for about a year, and while it is still not where I want it to be, I am more than ready to press on to Book Two. My own perfectionist attitude is what has been keeping me on the first book, and that it not fair to my characters (who are already moving on in my head) or to the story itself.

With that being said, I am shifting gears for the rest of this month and all of the Nanowrimo month of November into Tainted Blood, the second novel of the series. More than likely, I will return to the first book in December for final editing while Tainted Blood gets a chance to cool off. I will continue to post blogs about Forbidden Children and the process of writing this series, but I will keep peeks at Tainted Blood to a very bare minimum. I have to keep some things secret ;)

1 comment:

  1. I think that this is applicable to many areas of life...not just writing. Our obsessions with perfection can hold us back from many things. I completely agree with you and look forward to your development of book II. Good luck with Nanowrimo.

    ReplyDelete