Monday, June 28, 2010

The Twins Are Jealous

So I took the month of June to work on a totally different project. It was mostly an exercise, a chance to try and pull a Nanowrimo move in the middle of the year. For most of this month, William and Thomas stayed quiet.

Not anymore.

The twins are pulling hard at my writing strings, demanding attention. This puts me in a weird place: I want to finish my June Project, and I don't really know what to do with the twins right now, but they do not care. They want my attention, NOW.

I think writers have this issue sometimes, especially when they have more than one work in progress. If the stories are character-driven (as I feel they should be), and if the characters are solid, you will know when they are speaking to you. Their voices will be easy to identify in your mind, and you will know when it is time to return to them.

So, my twins are now jealous of the energy I have directed toward this short story. They may have to hold out for a few days longer, but it not going to be easy. I do love the short story I am finishing up, but the truth is, the twins are my favorites.

I never neglect the favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment