Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Year, Self Doubt

My friends and I have often discussed cases of people getting "cold feet" when it comes to their dreams. They start on it, they push it beyond where they thought they ever could, and then something just stops them. It is usually fear, exhaustion, or a combination of both.

Well, it's 2010, and I am trying to fight through my first bout of cold feet.

I have been working on this series for what feels like forever, and I suddenly find myself losing steam. It's not from writer's block, because I know exactly what needs to be written and re-written. In fact, I'm excited as all heck about the idea of writing book three. The problem is that I can't get myself back and focused on Forbidden Children.

I know how this entire series will end. I know who will make it to the last page of book three, and who won't. I know all of its major plot points. All that has to be done now is to polish FC and start hunting for a home for it.

Maybe that's the part that scares me; once the first book really is done, I will be forced to reveal it to complete strangers. I don't think that is all of it, though. I am not even afraid of failing. It would suck, but I would live.

Nope, I think I am afraid of succeeding.

So far, I have been given quite a few positive signs to push on with this. Positive feedback has come from my Reading Team, family members, and people in the industry. So why is it so difficult to complete this simple task? Fear of success is the only answer that makes sense to me.

To rectify this, I am thinking of breaking the cycle I have kept for the last two years. My excitement right now lies in Book Three, so I am thinking of moving on to that one. This means I will have to pick a brand new story idea for Nanowrimo 2010, but I'll live. It'll make November very interesting.

I want some opinions on this. Should I proceed with Book Three or try to focus on FC?

No comments:

Post a Comment