Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Immortal Love

I knew from the get-go that this story was not going to be a love story. For one, I don't like a story that has a ton of potential wasted because it is trying too hard to be romantic. Second, my basic thoughts on love go completely against the typical grain of the romantic novel. So for Forbidden Children, I decided to switch things up a bit. 
You can't live for 400 years and never fall for anyone (at least, I don't think you can). And the twins aren't really monsters, they're boys (and young men...or older men...or really old men). Herein laid my problem: there was a lot I wanted William and Thomas to accomplish; heck,  there was a lot they wanted to accomplish. Still, like a typical momma, I also wanted them to settle down and get married and have baby blood-lovers running around. The question I had to ask was this: Was this what they really want? Was love even what they needed?
For this major reason, this book is not another Twilight. Twilight was, at its base, a forbidden love story. Forbidden Children is the total opposite of that. The twins are not tortured by their existance because they do not have mates, they are tortured because they have not yet found their place. As anyone who read Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man knows, a male is not going to seriously look for a lifetime partner unless their house is in order. William and Thomas are getting their houses in order. 

1 comment: